My first love was gymnastics/dance, then came collage, then poetry, then guitar & songwriting, etc… After these wonderful love affairs I have had with these many art forms, there remain a few that would be able to be categorized as life-long loves. One day while journaling I stumbled upon this process of making these lists and boiling them down to the more essential. I found the framing it showed me quite helpful, so I have developed it into an exercise for you to try. It goes like this:
1. LIST any & all Artistic Forms you have had an affair with in your life. (from brief infatuations to staple marriages) Note- you can do this for all sorts of loves, not just ‘artistic’.
2. Place them in the order they appeared in your life (optional, but interesting to see the chronology)
3. Split your list into 2- the ones that you are still somewhat actively engaged in, and the ones you have pretty much let go of.
4. Notice where you feel peaceful acceptance around the lost art and where you feel sadness or upset. See if you can take small steps to reclaiming any lost loves.
5. Circle the ALL TIME most IMPORTANT to you from the List. (should be less than 3)
6. Write a Love Letter or Vows & Commitments to this 1 (or 2 or 3) Outlet that you Cannot Live without.
Hope you get Insight into what Really Matters to you. Have Fun!